According to top-mba-universities, Porum is located in Muskogee County, Oklahoma, and is situated on the banks of the Arkansas River. It has a total area of 0.8 square miles and a population of 1,224 people as of 2019. Geographically, Porum is mostly flat with some rolling hills in the southern part of town. The climate in Porum is humid subtropical; summers are hot and humid with occasional severe thunderstorms, while winters are mild to cool with occasional snowfall.
The history of Porum dates back to 1872 when it was established as a trading post along the Arkansas River by George Washington Steele and his family. Over the years, it grew into a thriving agricultural town and was known for its production of sweet potatoes, cotton, corn, pecans, and other crops. In recent years the economy has diversified to include manufacturing jobs at local factories as well as retail opportunities at nearby stores.
Politics in Porum are dominated by the Republican Party with most local elected officials being members of this party. Education is provided by the public school system which includes an elementary school, middle school and high school located within city limits. There are also several private schools available for children who wish to pursue alternative education options.
Porum is home to several landmarks including an old stone bridge spanning the Arkansas River that was constructed in 1890 by George Washington Steele himself; an old water tower that serves as a symbol for the town; and a large statue dedicated to veterans located near City Hall downtown. There are also several churches around town that provide spiritual guidance for local residents.
Population: 725. Estimated population in July 2020: 733 (+1.1% change)
Males: 338 (46.6%), Females: 387 (53.4%)
Zip code: 74455
Median resident age: 35.1 years
Median household income: $18,009
Median house value: $25,000
Races in Porum:
- White Non-Hispanic (61.5%)
- American Indian (36.4%)
- Two or more races (7.7%)
- Black (1.5%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (16.0%), Irish (9.4%), German (5.9%), English (2.2%), Dutch (1.4%), Italian (1.1%).
Elevation: 582 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Porum, Oklahoma is a small town located in Muskogee County. It has a population of approximately 1,000 people, making it one of the smallest towns in the state. The town is predominantly white, with around 85% of the population identifying as Caucasian. The remaining 15% consists of African Americans and Native Americans. The median age in Porum is 42 years old and the median household income is $36,000 per year. Most of the residents are employed in farming or ranching-related occupations, although there are also many employed in local stores and businesses. Education levels tend to be lower than average for Oklahoma as a whole due to limited resources and opportunities for higher education within the area. Despite this, most people have a strong sense of community pride and take pride in their rural way of life.
For population 25 years and over in Porum
- High school or higher: 60.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 11.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Porum town
- Never married: 21.0%
- Now married: 53.2%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 12.8%
- Divorced: 11.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -129 (-15.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Porum:
- HASKELL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; STIGLER, OK)
- COMMUNITY HOSPITAL LAKEVIEW (about 23 miles; EUFAULA, OK)
- MUSKOGEE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 28 miles; MUSKOGEE, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Porum:
- FORT SMITH REGIONAL (about 63 miles; FORT SMITH, AR; Abbreviation: FSM)
- TULSA INTL (about 71 miles; TULSA, OK; Abbreviation: TUL)
- DRAKE FIELD (about 88 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: FYV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Porum:
- STIGLER MUNI (about 14 miles; STIGLER, OK; Abbreviation: F84)
- DAVIS FIELD (about 21 miles; MUSKOGEE, OK; Abbreviation: MKO)
- FOUNTAINHEAD LODGE AIRPARK (about 24 miles; EUFAULA, OK; Abbreviation: 0F7)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Porum:
- NORTHEASTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; TAHLEQUAH, OK; Full-time enrollment: 6,610)
- ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,309)
- TULSA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 8,727)
- WESTARK COLLEGE (about 73 miles; FT SMITH, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,472)
- UNIVERSITY OF TULSA (about 73 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,760)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS MAIN CAMPUS (about 92 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 13,324)
- NORTHWEST ARKANSAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 100 miles; BENTONVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,197)
Public high school in Porum:
- PORUM HS (Students: 178; Location: 4TH & OSAGE STREETS; Grades: 09 – 12)