The End of Incandescent Light Bulbs

Often attributed to Thomas Edison, incandescent lamp in reality was invented by the British Joseph Swan and improved by Thomas Edison in 1879. This fabulous lamp that has accompanied the 20th century disappears from our homes. Why?

End of 2012, the bulb disappears rays in Europe

An incandescent lamp produces light by wearing a tungsten filament. After more than a century of loyal service, December 31, 2012 rang the death knell for the incandescent light bulb. Indeed, this date marks the final withdrawal of the circuits in Europe, decided by the European Union on December 8, 2008. And elsewhere in the world? For example, the United States adopted a plan of gradual withdrawal from 2007 apply from 1 January 2012. Australia has banned the sale of lamps with filament from 2010.

To significant energy savings

The light bulb is very energy intensive, this is its main flaw remodeling only 5% of its energy in lighting and losing the remaining heat 95%. The objective of the European Union is to save from 2020,-time bulbs disappear as our interiors at European level-the equivalent of the power consumption of the Romania (about 11 million households) and thus reduce emissions of carbon dioxide by 15 million tonnes per year.

Alternatives less energy-intensive

Rest for a consumer to choose more cost-effective solutions because more energy efficient. Only downside, these alternatives have they also defects. Thus, Leds, regarded as the blisters the less energy efficient, do not provide for the moment a lighting equivalent to filament bulbs and are very expensive to buy. Ampoules CFLs, most economic at the acha, t contain mercury recycle when they reach the end of life. The halogen high efficiency offer beautiful lighting quality but remain quite energy-intensive. I bet that these defects will decrease soon with significant technological improvements, as the recent creation of CFLs composed with an amalgam of mercury recyclable or Leds to 360°.