Buying sunglasses is not as easy and straightforward as it seems. As well as getting well on your face, it is important that they have quality assurance and that they protect your eyes from the strongest sunrays.
Summer is not summer without being able to buy new sunglasses, according to the trends of the time and the formats and colors that appeal to you. However, most of the sunglasses that are purchased are of poor quality and do not always meet European standards.
So at OPTICALIA, we have some advice for buying the perfect sunglasses for this summer, for your look but also for your look:
1) RECOGNIZE THE IDENTIFICATION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY
You have already noticed that some sunglasses and sunglasses have the symbol CE, an abbreviation of French’conformité européenne'(European conformity). This means that the glasses have a guarantee of quality ensured by European Union standards.
2) RECOGNIZE THE MODEL AND MANUFACTURER
The reference for the model and the brand / manufacturer of the glasses is also on the stem of the pair of glasses. This is another guarantee of manufacturing quality, resistance and the veracity of the model, important when you want to get a new glasses.
3) AVOID BUYING GLASSES IN MARKETS AND STREET STORES
Buying low-priced eyewear from street vendors or non-specialist stores does not provide a guarantee of essential quality when buying sunglasses. The same with regard to sunglasses on sale or that appear as a gift in the purchase of other products.
If on the one hand they may not protect your eyes against ultraviolet rays and expose them too much and directly in the sun, they can also lead to other types of eye diseases that we can avoid when buying glasses at stores and trust brands.
4) TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE DEGREES AND CATEGORIES OF PROTECTION OF THE SUN’S RAYS
It is important that sunglasses protect your eyes from the strongest sunrays. There are five categories of protection filters:
- grade 0 transmits between 80% and 100% light. These glasses are most used as protection, outdoors, in low light, or even at home by people suffering from photophobia;
- Category 1 transmits between 43% and 80%. These glasses filters are recommended for use in the city and can be colored;
- Category 2 corresponds to transmission filters of 18% to 43%. They are recommended for outdoor sports such as cycling or running;
- Category 3 is of filters with light transmission between 8% and 18%. Summer is the most recommended time for wearing these sunglasses, in areas with lots of sun, such as the beach or the mountains;
- Category 4 corresponds to filters which transmit between 3% and 8% of light. They are suitable lenses for high mountain areas, skiing, water sports, and little recommended for activities that need to be seen well(like driving).
5) CHOOSE THE COLOR BASED ON ITS QUALITIES
It is not just a question of color and look: colored lenses also have specific characteristics and meanings.
Green lenses, for example, are designed for people who suffer from farsightedness, while myopic, yellow and orange nuts for driving or fog, and blues or pinks significantly change our perception of colors.
Here are some OPTICALIA tips for choosing the perfect sunglasses for your summer look and also for your visual health. Read here what glasses formats are right for your face and share with us other tips for buying sunglasses!